|Lead||Ministry of Agriculture|
The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Forestry and Biosecurity (MALFFB) is supported by the Vanuatu Food Security and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) as a coordinating forum for Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction (CCDRR) for the primary production sector and food and nutrition security. This cluster provides an action-oriented forum for bringing together national and international partners to improve the timeliness and effectiveness assistance and advocacy to minimize the impact of climate change and hazards for vulnerable communities and sectors in Vanuatu. In particular, it will help ensure coherent, coordinated and integrated initiatives that are driven by evidence-based assessment of food security and of the needs of affected populations.
The FSAC coordinating structure is developed with the endorsement of the Ministry of agriculture and the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO), and in collaboration with the Regional Food Security Cluster, such as the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP). The Risk and Resilience Unit will act as the Secretariat of the FSAC.
Objectives of the FSAC
The FSAC will work towards the following objectives:
- Facilitate effective coordination and sharing of information amongst agencies and organizations, including local organizations and local government partners involved in food and nutrition security efforts, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and mitigation programs and recovery initiatives;
- In collaboration with the NDMO, ensure coordination of effective emergency food and nutrition security and agriculture response;
- Oversee and coordinate provision of timely evidence-based reporting to MALFFB and NDMO of activities in food and nutrition security, and agriculture emergency response of sector partners/members;
- Promote the integration of CCDRR across the agricultural sector;
- Increase resilience in the agriculture sector;
- Contribute to national/provincial FSAC contingency and preparedness planning, supporting cluster members to provide timely response during emergencies;
- Address disruption in the provision of existing MALFFB services during emergencies and liaise accordingly with sector partners and regional support agencies such as FAO, WFP, OCHA and SPC;
- Liaise and coordinate with the NDMO and other clusters- especially with joint initiatives such as DRR and response as required.